5.11.2010

Making Your Own Seitan

I've been wanting to make my own seitan for a long time, especially since the pre-made seitan is so overpriced. It turned out to be way easy.

Ingredients:
10 oz package of Vital Wheat Gluten
2 cups water

Preparation:
1. Empty the package into a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in water. Pay special attention to mixing it thoroughly, or you'll end up with areas in your seitan that are tough and chewy.
3. Knead until completely mixed, and form into a ball. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. While that's resting, prepare a boiling pot of water with optional broth or flavors. I used fake chicken bouillon and veggie broth.
5. Add in setian (either chopped into large or small pieces, or as the entire ball) and reduce to a simmer.
6. Let it simmer for a looong time. I did it for more than an hour. Check for a cooked texture similar to chicken, and taste-test to make sure it is as flavorful as you'd like.

After preparing it, you can eat it plain, store it in the broth to soak up more flavor or prepare it with a sauce. I usually make it with the same sauce I use in the Asian-Style Marinated Tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment